Friday, October 3, 2008

Movin' on Up

So I have already finished my first rotation. It is really hard to believe that my 6 weeks in Surgery have come and gone. I had a really great time working with Cardiothoracic Surgeons, so I saw alot of heart and lung surgeries. Needless to say I am constantly amazed by the human body and its ability to function and heal as well as the advancement of medicine in aiding the human body. While I was limited by hospital regulations on performing technical skills in surgery, I got to scrub in and put my hands in and touch everything(beating hearts, lungs, intestines, etc.) While I enjoyed surgery, it is not for me the hours are horrible, everything is late, and standing for 5-6 hours with all the sterile dress is hard.
Now I am in Women's Health in downtown Phoenix, so I get the inner city population as well as a long commute to work. But I am learning tons, prenatal visits, annuals, illness, and surgeries. The first day I got to scrub in to two C-sections, it was a big day for me. I have a tough teacher, she definitely gives me the look that makes me want to run for my books and study up so I give the right answer next time. She pushes me and everyday lets me progress a little further on my own. Can't really ask for more, but an occasional atta girl would be nice.
Jon is staying busy with work, he has been on a traveling streak for a bit. It's nice for him to get out there and meet with people. His parents also came for a visit. We enjoyed having them, they spoil us way to much. I'll have to post pics of the stuff we scored at Ikea . We're glad they visit us despite our guest room by night, living room by day accomodations. Jon's basketball league started up again, so far they have won when Jon is in town and lost when he's gone. I say that is a pretty good indication he should stop traveling so much, so he could help his team out :) Well I just wanted to let everyone know that we are alive and kicking, sorry for the lack of pictures.

3 comments:

The Foys said...

Yay Amber! I'm so happy that you guys are doing so well and am excited for everything you are doing. We miss you guys a lot. We can't wait to see you again!

bigOglasgows said...

It was good talking to you today. I wish you lived closer but am glad you are where you are happy. Love you!

Crystal Foy Weber said...

I wish you all lived closer to me, can we fix that or at least see each other soon? I'm so proud of you too, Amber! You are so good at what you do, you would never catch me even attempting to do what you do, you're amazing!I miss you guys a lot too and can't wait to see you! Love you!