Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The news we have all been waiting for. . . . .

Well at least Jon and I have been waiting for---my rotation assignments. This next year I will be doing 8, 6 week rotations with a doctor or PA in different areas of medicine. I start the 3rd week of August. I am scared and nervous, but I can't stand being in a classroom any longer. So now for the list.

1. Cardiothoracic Surgery (talk about scary)
2. OB/GYN (this is a real OB clinic, so I'll get to see births, etc.)
3. Pediatrics
4. Family Medicine I
5. Internal Medicine
6. Elective
7. Emergency Medicine
8. Family Medicine II in Yuma (I guess I need to learn Spanish, cause I am going to the border)

I have some really good rotations and I really lucked out because they are just assigned by a computer program. Getting surgery first isn't necessarily lucky, but I am excited for the experience. I'll get to see a real heart beating in someone's chest. As for being scared it is really of the OR nurses, I hear they can be brutal, but sterility is key and they protect their turf. For the elective I get to choose anything I want, problem is I don't know what I want yet. So it is good that I have some time before that comes up. As for Yuma, we all have to go to an out of town rotation, the school arranges the housing however it is just for me, not Jon. It will be interesting living with some roomates for a few weeks, mostly from my class I believe. Hopefully it is busy and I'll come home on the weekends.

I am so excited to start seeing the things I have been learning this past year. It will be so nice to be done with tests and 3 hours classes. However, it has been awhile since I have had a full workday schedule and had to commute. Some of the locations are quite a drive across the valley especially w/the horrible traffic here. I'll miss Jon and having lunch with him often, coming home early, and studying at home while he works. But this is what I have been looking forward to for along time, some real action.

4 comments:

Kim Hutchens said...

Sounds exciting! I would never be able to handle seeing blood and real organs. Good for you though!

Coty said...

Wow Amber!!! Congrats, exciting stuff coming your way!!!

Jill Garrison said...

I'm so happy to see all the new updates!!!! Im so sorry for two your luck with the arm and the leg that is really a bummer! Glad everything is back to normal!!!

I love the roller bladding photos - you all look GREAT!

Love ya - Jill

Crystal Foy Weber said...

I'm excited you got your assignments! You are going to have some fun stories to share :) Are any of those rotations in Utah?